Phnom Penh Food Trip

As I have mentioned on my previous food trip entry, I will never give justice to the food we have eaten by merely posting its pics. I'm no food blogger, so just bear with me on how shallow I get to describe each one of them.

On our first day in Phnom Penh, we asked Mr. Samoun, the good tuktuk driver, to drive us to a restaurant that will offer us authentic Khmer cuisine. Though we felt that street food offer more authenticity, there were no street food vendors when we arrived in Phnom Penh and we don't like to die from starvation. :)

1st restaurant in Phnom Penh: KHMER SARAVAN.

As Mr. Tuktuk Driver stopped in front of one of the many restaurants along Riverside, we were looking around if there is a distinguishable factor that will definitely say, "Hey, looking for Khmer cuisine, come in!". Then he pointed at Khmer Saravan which we believe is the top restaurant along the riverside. There were no customers when we entered and the waitress smiled at us (maybe because we are too noisy and were talking in Tagalog). As a rule in the food trip, we asked her what's their best seller and she mentioned the following and we ordered them:

Amok. Much like the Indian Curry but with more tolerable taste and smell. 

Deep Fried Chicken with Sweet Chili Sauce

Loklak. Resembles to Menudo or Sweet and Sour Pork

Fried Rice with Beef



2nd restaurant: The Happy Herb Pizza

Prior to the Cambodian trip, we were actually researching about the "Happy Pizza", and one of our acquaintances mentioned that we should try the Happy Pizza.

Happy Pizza is offered only to foreigners, as it has marijuana, an illegal drug (both in the Philippines and Cambodia). Marijuana is sprinkled on top of the pizza and according to my friend, there are different levels of happiness, which I think is based on how much "juts" they put on your pizza.

Aside from this, we tried the famous beer in Cambodia - Angkor and Beer Lao. I am not a fan of beer, but I really liked how it tasted. It was far from San Miguel Light that I occasionally drink.

Angkor Beer and Beer Lao

Happy Pizza. Green specks are actually marijuana. 




3rd restaurant: Sinh Foo

Located just beside Khmer Saravan, Sinh Foo offers Khmer food with the hint of different country cuisines. We ordered the following from the said restaurant.


Fried rice in Pineapple

Crispy Chicken Fillet

Frog legs in Khmer Sauce

I still need to work on my food blogging skills, but I think I managed to get decent pictures of the food that we tried. Anyhow, if it looks beautiful, it should taste delicious.

2 comments: