An ode to the Gay Community


Father to his son, drowning him on a plastic/metal drum: Ano ka?
Son (gasping for air): Bakla po!
Father: Ano ka sabi?
Son: Bakla nga po.
Father: Ano, ano ka?
Son: Sirena, itay, SIRENA!

This joke is old. Yet, I believe, there are still people who do this until today.

I have been living all my life with the happiest friends - gays to be exact. Though one hasn't been out of his closet yet, I have a wide circle of these people. They are the most life loving, funny and true friends that I have.

Gays in the Philippines are so called "tampulan ng tukso", they are the life of the party, bordering to them being the joke itself. Many of the gays, or in a correctly political and social terms, the LGBT community, are the most creative minds I have ever met. From drama/sitcoms, to backdrops to powerpoint presentations... to changing their deepest, saddest emotions to funny jokes and antics, these people do not only deserve equality but they should have the rightmost respect and if possible, be given the highest honors on living life on the most positive way ever.

This post is inspired by the latest video by Gloc 9, a rapper who write songs about the society, politics and everything in between. Many of these gay (and happy) people are victims of domestic violence, their fathers (if not brothers) would box them, telling them to be a man. These struggles begin in their childhood and will continue on during their school years.

Lately, I noticed that these gay students would walk in a group, feeling that the road is their own runway. I love looking at them as they peg themselves as beauty queens or runway models. If I could just clap without insulting them, I would certainly do so.

I never imagined my life without these people. They are the most responsible people I have ever known. Them without their own future family, tending the family business and taking care of their old parents, they certainly win over those straight people who left their own parents in a elderly shelter or worse, forget all about them.

My outmost respect and love to all my gay friends. You may be able to relate to parts of this song, but believe me, you have been one of the greatest people in my life.



Loving the happy people,


Deng

No comments:

Post a Comment