Unboxing Pavizio X1: Getting more than what you pay for

This entry have been long overdue. I promised I will be writing an entry on this, however, due to my tight schedule of trips and office work, here it goes.

In early July, I was able to buy a new addition to my electronic family, to wrap up my birthday month. I have written a teaser entry about it, since I need to use it on its full capacity to be able to write a more comprehensive review.


UNBOXING THE TABLET
One of the best features for me about this tablet is that it doesn't have its front buttons, one that can be found in the front panel that serves as back buttons on Ipads and Samsung Tablets. On a landscape screen mode, you will see two buttons on top of it, one for the volume and another for the power button, that also serve as the lock button. Back panel comes in two colors - black and white, similar to Galaxy Tab. However, there is no difference on the specifications despite the color.

Back panel

NOTE: All the following walk through on placements of buttons are on landscape mode.

Its basic features are its 0.3 MP camera on the upper right hand corner. the power indicator light can be found below the camera lens. Blue light suggests its powered on and turns red when its near its depleting when you are charging the device.

Front panel


 On the side, you will see the charger, USB and earphone jacks, as well as slots for SD card.
Buttons, Ports and Jacks

With Charger, Earphones and USB connected





STARTING UP
Turning on the tablet takes about a little less than a minute. However, if you are using the pattern security log-in feature, it may need several seconds more to react on your fingertips.

On the lower right of the screen, you will see basic icons such as the clock, battery, wifi notifications, system updates, downloads and external device connectors. On the lower left of the bar, you can see three major buttons: back, home and current running programs. Three dots appear beside the running programs icon for program's basic options (i.e on web browser - back, refresh and forward icons), depending on what program you're currently using.

Home Screen

Running apps - Home Screen

You will see you home screen, similar to the desktop and laptop screens that we are used to. This contains the shortcut icons for the main program that you use. On the upper right, you have the menu buttons that brings you the list of applications/ programs you have installed in your tablet.

Menu screen


PERSONALIZING YOUR TABLET

HOME SCREEN
Your home screen "houses" icons of the programs you want to easily access without clicking the menu icon. From the menu screen, you can drag an icon to the home screen and create its shortcut. You can eventually organize home screen icons - on placements by a long push of the icon, until a grid comes out and you can put them wherever you like them on the home screen. You can also organize all games shortcut by selecting one and dragging them on another game icon. Similarly, a remove button will be displayed in case you want to remove some of the home shortcut icons.

To make your device reflect yoru personality, you can as well personalize your home screen wallpaper. However, because it runs on Android ICS, menu screen remains black.


APPLICATIONS/ PROGRAMS
Because the device runs on Android, you expect that you;ll have Google Market where you can find loads of free and paid application. As of the moment, I have an ebook reader, 4 games from Google Market, an office application (for Documents, PDF, Powerpoint and Excel files I review and make) and web browser.


BATTERY AND CHARGING
I don't really expect much on the battery of the device, since it only costs a little over Php 5,000.00. However, when I am using it with an ebook reader, web browser and 2 games running, it gave me a good 5 hours of usage (all running, but I'm not using them all at the same time). When on standby, it gives me almost 48 hours.

I feel that when I am using the tablet, and it is charging, it will take about 3 hours before it is fully charged. When its off, on the other hand, it will only take 1 to 1.5 hours before its full. So, I make sure I turn off the device when I am charging it.


THE VERDICT
For almost 2 months of using the device, I can say it has served its main purpose for me. I no longer bring my laptop with me, since I can create, edit and review documents on my tablet. I can also be online and be able to read ebooks.
But because I have low expectations on the device because of its price, I felt that it gives more than what I paid for it. I can play Temple Run on the device (its has gyro capabilities, you can swing it left to right too, like other devices) and read ebooks. However, there are times that it has its lag moments, keyboard sometimes appears slow when you use the address bar on the web browser or it is not responsive to your touch.

Now, its up to you if you want to buy the product, but come to think of it, if browsing and reading materials are all you want to do, then, Pavizio X1 is good for you.



Self proclaimed gadget freak and techie,

Deng

15 comments:

  1. thanks for the review... is the battery still good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it still is. A good 4 to 5 hours of medium use (checking mails, Facebook and Twitter and games running) and 3 hours of heavy use (online, switching from games to ebook reading).

      Delete
  2. Hi! thanks for the review.

    we're planning to get one next week pero kasi pinagpipilian namin ng anak ko either Nintendo DS Lite or this one (hindi kasi nagkakalayo ang price sa TK)... ask ko lang about internet connection? ok din ba s'ya sa globe broadband or any broadband stick?

    and ok naman sya sa Movies? pwede ba "drag and drop" ng files from external HD or vice versa?

    Thanks!

    y.atelier.28@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried Globe and Smart Broadband sticks and it works pretty well.

      Drag and drop is not possible, but you can copy files to and from your EHD. Tabbed kasi ang design ng memory but you can copy and paste without worries. :)

      No problem with the movies, I finished several movies with it, walang hang.

      Just be careful, 2GB lang ang internal memory nya. To prevent it from lagging, I usually copy a movie on it, kapag natapos ko na, erase it and copy the next one.

      Delete
    2. hi dheng, may I know the models of the broadband sticks you used with your x1? been trying to use my globe broadband (Huawei E1552) but it can't be detected by my x1.

      Delete
    3. Hi. I got my friend's broadband sticks when I tried the stick connection. I don't know the exact model but she got the tattoo broadband USB stick and Smart's Rocket chic.

      Delete
  3. Hi. Interested ako bumili ng tab na to but I'm still in doubt if it would really be good enough. Pwede ka ba magprovide ng benchmarks? Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. From an officemate who likewise wanted to buy this one, she mentioned that this is unavailable already. There is a new one (sorry, I wasn't able to get its name) and according to her, its basically the same.

      Will try to compare both once I get to try my officemate's.

      Delete
  4. sir inquire ko lng ano po ba yng specs ng charger ng pavizio yng nabili ko kasi na pavizio walng kasamang power adapter. tnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were two connectors with my pavizio. One with the jack and another one with the micro USB on the other side. Its USB mounted charger.

      Delete
  5. sir ask ko lang kung alam mo kung saan makakakuha ng driver nito?thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anybody know how to go into the recovery menu of the Pavizio X1? I have mine stuck on the android loading screen and I want to go into the recovery menu to reset it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually this kind of tablet is good. because i have it for almost 1 year and i can say that it is a really big help for me in my study and my self stuff, you know. hehe
    if you feel that the tab is slow in a way, it means that your tab is updating all your application. I love to have x3 someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does anybody know how to go into the recovery menu of the Pavizio X1? I have mine stuck on the android loading screen and I want to go into the recovery menu to reset it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can anyone please share the idea on how to hard reset this gadget?... Thanks for your help...:)

    ReplyDelete