Ilocos trip: A Side Trip from True Work

For the past years that I have been working, I have the opportunity of visiting famous places, from way North (well, not Aparri) to down South (not Jolo either). However, this past month was different from the other month, since this time, I am not working as hard as before and I just accompanied one of Agencies when they are doing the true work.

On the middle week of July, I have the opportunity of visiting Ilocos region. Despite the heavy rains pouring on the region, I believe that it won't stop me in visiting two heritages in the region: the Paoay Church in Ilocos Norte and Vigan Heritage Site in Ilocos Sur. I have to visit these two sites, no matter what. Sadly, Pagudpud does not belong on my must-see visit during the rainy season since it is hard to photograph the windmills and all.


1ST STOP: BALUARTE, VIGAN CITY, ILOCOS SUR

Since this is a side trip, we have to manage our time well. I decided, I will be visiting Vigan for a day, since it offers more sites than Ilocos Norte. I rose up at 6:30am, got dressed and went out of Isabel Suites by 8:00am.

From Isabel Suites, we rode a tricyle to Partas Bus Terminal. They have trips to Cubao every hour and you can just ride these buses on your way to Vigan.

You will arrive in Vigan Centro in about 2 hours, and you will see Vigan Cathedral upon getting off the bus. We decided to take lunch before we proceed to Baluarte and Vigan Heritage Site.

After having lunch, we rode a tricycle from Centro to Baluarte, Chavit Singson's mini-farm located in Brgy. Tamag, Vigan City. It take you 15-20 minutes from the Centro to the gates of Baluarte. There is no admission fee when you enter Baluarte. According to the staff we talked with, this is Governor Chavit's gift to the Ilocano's.



Upon entrance, you have two options in covering the 8 hectare farm and zoo - by your own feet or you can ride the free service. I highly suggest you take the service, its free anyway. Their service - a mini pony with steel calesa. I believe this will fit two persons at a time, and can transport you to the ostrich and camel side of the farm, quite far if you decided to walk. The calesa will also transport you back to the entrance where you can start the actual walk to the rest of the Baluarte. It only took about 30 minutes to cover the area. We didn't visit the top area, since the clouds are getting darker and we planned to be back to Laoag before night falls. You can buy souvenirs  inside Baluarte, from tshirts to ref magnets and keychains. before you leave the place, you can also see stalls selling souvenirs. 







Our second stop for the day is the Vigan Heritage Site or also known as the Calle Crisologo. To reach the site, tricycles await you when you exit Baluarte. You just have to tell them that you are going to Calle Crisologo.


2ND STOP: CALLE CRISOLOGO, VIGAN CITY, ILOCOS SUR

This whole street is now vying for its spot on the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, its a must that I visit this. Calle Crisologo is a whole stretch of old Spanish houses that the City of Vigan is caring for. In this street you can find antiques, locally made souvenirs, bagnet, cornicks and a whole lot more. To fully experience the old Spanish era, it is a must that you ride the calesa while on this street. You may opt to walk again, but you must ride the calesa to your next destination, either the Vigan Cathedral or Vigan Market to buy cornicks.



Souvenir shops along Calle Crisologo

Ilocano Blankets
Calle Crisologo
Old Irons



3RD STOP: VIGAN CATHEDRAL, VIGAN CITY, ILOCOS SUR

One of the many Baroque churches in the Ilocos, and it is the first and last place that you would see when you arrive and leave Vigan City. I must create a new album of the Baroque churches that I have visited all over Philippines, I should do that soon. Nothing fancy, except it will definitely bring you to the Spanish era, where the Prayle would do their sermons not on the altar but on elevated places in the church, with a mini-stage.


The Bell Tower, Vigan Cathedral



We were bound for Laoag by 2 in the afternoon. However, it took us about an hour before we rode the Partas bus that we will bring us back. But ordinary buses, mini-bus what locals call them, can also take you back to Laoag City. Since it was about to rain, we decided to wait for the Partas bus. After a little more than 2 hours, we arrived at the Partas Bus station (just because it rained heavily and the bus slowed down) and took a tricycle back to Isabel Suites where I was staying.



4TH STOP: PAOAY CHURCH, PAOAY, ILOCOS NORTE

2nd day of free time. It was my flight day but I still decided to visit the famous Paoay Church hours before the flight. I woke up by 5am, and got on my trip by 6am. I took a tricycle from Isabel Suites to Laoag-Paoay jeep terminal near the Provincial Capitol. It took me 45 minutes, passing thru San Nicolas, Batac and Mariano Marcos University before I got off at the back of Paoay church. It was drizzling when I arrive there but I still decided to walk toward the front so I can get a good picture of one of UNESCO's World Heritage Site.

UNESCO Heritage Site: Paoay Church


Getting back, you will need to walk to the Paoay-Laoag jeepney terminal, 45 minutes more and I'm back to Laoag City. I have 1.5 hours before I get to Laoag Airport and I decided to buy more pasalubongs for my family. I met up with one of my local researchers and she accompanied me to Laoag Central Market to buy longganisa and bagnet. :) We rode the calesa back to my hotel and I'm off to the airport again. :)


REALIZATIONS

Ilocos region, well, for the cities I managed to visit, is an old place. It took me back to the Spanish era, with Calle Crisologo and the Baroque churches but managed to keep the modern period with fastfood chains everywhere. You should not miss the calesa ride when you are there. First, the calesa ride is the same as the tricycle fare (Php 11.00). Second, its environment friendly. Third, you are able to help those old manong and manang that drives the calesa.

For the past travels that I had, I always made sure that I visit not only the major attractions but also those minor ones. I have the fascinations of UNESCO sites, so I make sure I visit them.

The Sinking Bell Tower viewed from a Calesa


Now, I'm preparing for my next travel, off to INDOCHINA in two weeks!


Enjoying the perks of work,

Deng

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, so worth-it to have some time visiting a place in the country.

    online deals

    ReplyDelete